Container Gardening _ Tomatoes

Raising my first batch of Tomatoes has been a success.  This batch contains seeds sent from Canada so I'm looking forward to how it will look different from our local tomatoes.

Starting from seeds is quite easy once you know the trick. First, make sure you use organic soil. I use compost from our "project green" which is an advantage. But I have started with ordinary soil before and were relatively successful as long as it has good drainage.

Second, it helped that I covered my seed tray with plastic to keep the moisture.  The pictures shown below clearly show moisture and you don't have to make holes.



After 5 days, I think we had 90% success in sprouting our seeds.



But only 25% of our sprouts grew into seedlings. Here's how it looks after 2 weeks.



I planted them in their containers already and I used 3 seedlings max in a pot.


After about 4 weeks, I added stakes already to encourage growth.  By this stage, the plants were growing very well. It helps that you touch the plants to make the stems stronger.

I have 7 container pots of Tomatoes.  They really do thrive in the summer.
After 7 weeks, we are now seeing the start of the fruits...



Look how tall and fat they've become.

I expect 3 more weeks to go before we start harvesting.  Will post pics when we harvest.

Growing vegetables is a great hobby and exercise in one!

Comments

Popular Posts