Vegetable gardening using H-CUPS

For this year, my new learning is using H-Cups...Hydroponics.  Using the SNAP solution invented at the UP Los Banos center, Filipinos can now start low-cost hydroponics.  I'm still learning the process. Its definitely not as easy as it looks and as always, I advise patience.


I did two versions.  One is using bottles and the other is in big container.
My first mistake was using seedlings that were still too young.  I advise you to start with seedlings that have already at least 2 young leaves and not just their first sprout.

Materials needed to set up:

1. Styro cup
2. Container for the solution
3. Vermiculite
4. solution
5. Seedling

Just these 5 materials and you're all set to start.

You'll know its a success if at the end of the day and your seedling is still alive, they are doing well using the H-cup.



My first batch using plastic bottles already survived a week. Well only 3 cups out of 12 cups I started with survived. Reality bites. But I'm sure I will improve as I get more used to it. For the remaining cups. their roots already increased from where it started.


 The container should not let light pass thru the water to prevent algae build up (lumot).


I'll post the results after a week. But so far, its been 4 days and all cups have alive seedlings in this batch.

Comments

Popular Posts